What I can't imagine either is the idea that a five year old would be allowed to play outside unsupervised. To be able to get into somebody's car with out a parent seeing what was happening is simply irresponsible.
Many may throw their hands into the air and ask "what kind of world are we living in when a child can't play outside without being abducted?"
I would counter that question by asking "what kind of parent ignores their responsibility to take of a child and is naïve enough to honestly believe that their child can play out without chance of harm?"
It beggars belief. How can people be so stupid?
5 comments:
Hello Charles, I hear what you're saying but what has changed since you and I use to skin our knees outside unattended? Did people change or did society change? In the past here in America we use to execute those who kidnapped, murdered and raped, I have absolutely no use for those who harm children. Great post Charles,bill
Thanks Bill, as always, both for continuing to read and continuing to comment.
Society has changed greatly - in the UK, at least - a combination of "stranger danger" discourse which has mislead a generation of parents and children, lax justice as you point out, and the continued farce of psychologists' irresponsibility regarding the understanding and classification of offenders and potential offenders has continued to put children in harm's way, more than ever before in living memory.
One thing parents can do (at least) in response, is to do their damn job.
Why I don't disagree in principle to your article. A parent is ultimately responsible for the welfare of their child, no question. I do think there has to be a balance. That if you always keep your child in your sight then the child never learns a sense of independence and self reliance.
I let my daughter go to a sleep over a few weeks ago. She is 7. She was the only guest because all other parents were too paranoid to let there child stay over night at another parents home. This is a right of passage for most kids. My daughter had a ball and was very proud of herself that she did stay and had an awesome time.
Where is the line between good parenting and over protective smothering. If never being away from us is the only way to keep them safe then how do we allow our kids to form relationships outside the family core, to develop skills that will allow them to problem solve when they do go in the real world and get in trouble?
Hi Electa - thanks for your comment. I agree with everything you say.
The post is prompted by the current UK case of April Jones, a 5 year old girl with cerebral palsy who "went missing" after being seen getting into a van. She was apparently playing out on an estate on her bicycle while her parents attended a parents' evening - you can rad more about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9589061/April-Jones-Police-launch-murder-inquiry-after-giving-up-hope-of-finding-her-alive.html#
You look at her sweet little face and it breaks your heart that anyone could harm a child.
I hope there is a special kind of hell for people like that. I also hope his cellmate has a big hard-on for people who harm children. whoever did it.
Post a Comment