Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Friday, 22 February 2013

Fluid & Seminal

The following may prove to be THE seminal post from GONZO♡LECTURE™.

I was driving along the motorway just now, on my way to deliver my wisdom into the hungry, bird-like mouths of my final-year students. It's snowing and I think it should be the weekend already.

In between thinking various thoughts, such "why do people like Beyonce so much? Is it only cos she's completely shaggable (sp?) Etc..." Usual stuff. I'm still thinking about comedian Paul Sweeney's appearance on @BBCR1's shitest show of the week on Wednesday night. It struck me because he did a cool piece on nando's and it's direct comparison with KFC. Very clever. We did a standup gig together about a year ago, which was fun for me, at least.

Anyway, "get on with your seminal stuff, you self-indulgent twat!" I hear you cry.

I'm tired of "them" trying to control education information and dissemination.

"Them" consists of:
- government
- social institutions
- university middle management
- publishers
- mainstream media : the "press"
- students
- subject specialists
- industry "experts"

Etc. - sorry that was a quick brainstorm.

Information makes itself free (Foucault).

This has been the mistake of many previously (e.g. Gates) who have tried to charge for it at their peril.

If you want to charge for intellectual property, you have to own it. Nobody else will ever own my intellectual property, while I'm alive.

The appearance of a social contract which suggest ownership of the intellectual property rights of academics never seems to stand up in court when tested. However, it's not for the want of institutions trying to suggest in contract small-print that they own the expressed thoughts of others. For example, every time we publish a paper in a journal, we must sign off all rights to that product to those publishers. We do not get paid for this privilege. At the moment, I also get very little time (and soon to be less, I hear) to do such publication at my university.

How do academics fight the oppression brought upon them by these injustices?

Well...I'm off to work now.

Have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
Charles Gonzo (Professor)
------------------

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you tried Seven Seas seminal fluid with morning sickness additive?

Unknown said...

I have this dream.I have redeemed all past sins and become a lone mythical hero whose name is whispered in awe in every corner of the land. Rough hewn, hard, laconic, sporting a wide brimmed outback hat, and Andy Pandy suit I have just broken the heart of yet another gorgeous young Doris who waves tearfully as I ride off into the sunset to that great oasis in the desert where all super heroes congregate because it's just too fucking cold anywhere north or south of Cancer or Capricorn.God though it's a boring lonely place.Give me the academic idiots every time, much more fun