Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Monday, 6 August 2012

Paul Rega [1] Why I wrote my career book

PR: I just want to express my sincere thanks to you Charles, for your hospitality in inviting me to be interviewed for your great blog. I look forward to any comments from your readers.

TGL: It's my pleasure to welcome you here, Paul. I wanted to ask you, what motivated you to write your book "How To Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs” ?

My new career book, “How To Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs” is, as many are discovering, much more than a job search book. The book took me nearly 14 years to write. I simply wanted to share the knowledge I had gained as a recruiter with the general public. It depicts a journey through life that we are all on or soon shall embark upon. The book is a story of my life as a recruiter and how my unique experience in that field has come into play as my own career has had its share of challenges. The book was the result of merging what I know as a recruiter and my 29 years of experience in the field of employment with the circumstances occurring in my life. A recurring theme throughout the book is that, “As your life changes, so often does your career.” I think it’s because of this unique combination that the book seems to be resonating with a lot of people currently suffering in this economy. The title is the original title of the book, and when I first started to write it several years ago, the US was experiencing a difficult employment situation and it just seemed to fit the circumstances. 

Do you have any questions for Paul? Would you like to share a comment?

28 comments:

Jane Carroll said...

Paul...I'm not looking for a job...BUT...I thoroughly enjoyed your book and find that the processes you describe translate well into many areas of life as well. Truly defining what we want is key to obtaining it! Thanks for taking the time...all fourteen years of it...to write such a timely book!

D.G. Torrens said...

Hi Paul,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your book is fascinating and it shows that fourteen years of your life has gone into such a fabulous book which is a lot more than how to find a job it's an incredible journey and one many people can learn from.
You are truly an inspiration to many.
D.G. Torrens

Anonymous said...

Hi there Jane, What a great comment. Charles is a good man to know and his blockbuster blog is proof of his great success! Love your book "Bertha Size Your Life"

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, I am nearly finished with your book. What a comprehensive approach for sure. Although I am self-employed and not looking for a job, I have found several elements to be extremely helpful, especially when meeting potential new clients. I will be sure to let you know when I am done. (Hi Charles great blog!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, I am nearly finished with your book. What a comprehensive approach for sure. Although I am self-employed and not looking for a job, I have found several elements to be extremely helpful, especially when meeting potential new clients. I will be sure to let you know when I am done. (Hi Charles great blog!)

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment! And what a comment it is---just fantastic! Amazing support from a great friend and very talented writer! Congrats on your new Book Obsession by D.G. Torrens!

Cynthia said...

As someone who does volunteer work with the unemployed, I recommend Paul's book quite often. He wrote it with humanity and humility. Paul's book engages the reader and provides doable tactics that can be realistically accomplished by anyone.

Brian V. Menard said...

As the father of eight children, finding jobs for them can seem like a never ending cycle. I'm truly looking forward to reading this book after all of the amazing reviews it has received. I'll post again after I've read it. I can't wait!

Kay Rogal said...

Hi, Paul!

I am reading your book as we speak and enjoying it :-) If you could pick any career in your life, what job gave you the most lessons and why?

Unknown said...

Paul, I loved reading about what went into writing this book. The key thing you said for me is: “As your life changes, so often does your career.” This is so true. We can view a job loss as an opportunity to perhaps find a new career, something we like even more. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Van, Glad you are enjoying my book! As a business owner for some 29 years now it was written with someone like yourself in mind---also a business owner. However, as you can see it is much more than a job search book but rather a story of a journey we are all on--or soon shall be. Loved your great book MALAIKA and am looking forward to your new book out soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for purchasing my book Brian, I hope you enjoy it! It is much more than a mere job hunting book.

Anonymous said...

Hello there Cyndy, thank you for recommending my book! I really appreciate it---coming from you in your field it means a great deal!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay, Wow! What a great question...I would have to say my first business that I started in college with a friend of mine taught me the most. We called it the Self Defense Academy and it was in response to several assaults of other students on campus. It helped a lot of people and put my partner and I both through college. I learned a heck of a lot about marketing in a class I had taken and used it. We had over 150 students!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristine! Great to see you here! What a great writer you are! Thank you for your comments---means a lot. Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with all your books.

Beverly Preston said...

“As your life changes, so often does your career.” Living in Las Vegas, I connect with this for many reasons. Most everyone I know in the construction fields are starting over, including myself. I’m half way through your book and loving it. Thanks for sharing your personal journey.
Great interview!

Tamy Burns said...

Awesome post Paul! Love the book by the way! I've given a book to each of my sons who are at the beginning of their journey. One still in college, the other in the Army reserves now and working for a small electrical company. Great advice for us all, but now they can avoid some of the pitfalls. Well, that's what this mom hopes at any rate!

Kay Rogal said...

Wow - that's very interesting! You are very diverse in business :-) and have been very kind sharing those marketing tools with a newbie like me...thank you, Paul!

Anonymous said...

Hi There Beverly, I do understand what that all feels like. I'm not sure exactly what you felt when you had to start over but I know how I felt---it was tough but I did it and am much happier as a result--retooled I suppose you might say.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamy, I hope the book helps your two sons! There is a great review on the Amazon book site from a young man that read the book and it really gave him some direction. It's a book I wish I had read before I graduated from college. The US Army had recently contacted me and may be interested in using the book for returning service folks. I hope they do! I'm glad you are enjoying it too. Please consider writing a review on Amazon. I would be honored!

Catherine said...

Hi Paul, Putting 14 years experience into your book says everything. I'm sure that it's an inspiration and great help to many. Well done!

Unknown said...

Hi Charles & Paul:

What an AWESOME interview and one that will help spread the word about Paul's book. This book gives people HOPE. Personally, Paul has been a "mentor" in my life and I treasure all the "tips" and encouragement he has passed my way. I just started my Virtual Assisting business and this is all because Paul sent me a "complimentary" copy of his book to review. Little did I know I would be personally benefiting from reading it. And it did not stop at reviewing the book. Paul continues to check on my progress and offer encouragement as I learn and market my business. Thank you Charles & Paul for all that you BOTH do. See you on Twitter... Whatever Needs To Be Done, Inc.

Unknown said...

Hey van. Cheers.

Unknown said...

Well thank you angela. For all your help too. Charles.

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for checking out my book. Yes 14 years was a long haul. I started writing it during a time I needed to take away from my stressful search business. I suppose I was taking my own advice at that point but maybe didn't realize it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

Regarding your comment, "This book gives people HOPE." Yes, I think it does do that, but it also I believe teaches you what to do with hope, for without that, it is meaningless. You my friend are testament to that fact. Congrats on your continued success. A real tiger!

Arlene O'Neil said...

Excellent!! Sounds like a wonderful book that has and will help many!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Arlene! You have a wonderful book out "Broken Spokes" that has received some amazing reviews! Congrats on that!