Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Thursday, 29 January 2009

Jimmy Smits is no Obama

What impressed me about recent West Wing reruns (I know...sad...but it's quite good TV), was this whole Santos election campaign. I'm watching this iin reveerse from most of the rest of the interested population - because the only reason I know he wins it is because it's been covered in conjunction with Obama's election.

Of course, it's only been covered BEFORE the election of Obama to the Presidency. It was a great case study in piggy-backing one not-yet-accepted idea on the back of another. The basic connection that's being made is that Obama, a popular, man of the people, "say it from the heart," representative of the oppressed minorities of America was prefigured by Jimmy Smit's hispanic (latina) character. Well, I've seen this bizarre documentaries about the media commentary and I think they are all mad.

Particularly these nut case-writers on the West wing. I think the idea that Obama kind of got his speeches from the influence of a popular TV programme is verging on demonstrating an inability to distinguish fantasy from reality. The glazed eyes and pseudo intellectual comparisons don't add up. They ran Santos speeches followed directly by Obama's speeches and they were very different. The write who worked for Clinton seemed to me at least to think the his role in life wasreally important and I got an uncomfortable sense that he thought what he was doing was contributing to the world in real terms. It's somehow a testimony of some people's inflated opinion of the importance of the media in society.

2 comments:

Barticus said...

Don't you just love those American sit-coms, so so real (cough).

But seriously, saw something funny today over breakfast without the aid of mirror, for a change, and decided to share.

While reading The National Choice (experts at telling us what we must know and how we must live in order to have a complete existance) otherwise known as The Sun, although it has many, many other informal and slightly more accurate names, I came across, no not page three, you perverts and freaks, but a brilliant complaint letter to Richard Branson about in-flight meals and entertainment, (with the main point being the meals ability to compliment the entertainment).

The story itself, on page twenty, is worth the thirty pence the comic costs, but if you cannot bring yourself to challenge your local vendor to place your copy descretly in a brown paper bag for fear of being revealled as a Sun reader, then, as long as you cand put up with the relentless barrage of annoying and pointless (although I'm sure someone must buy this crap, after all who can't use extra large elasticated spandex pants?) advertising, then go to http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article21846222.ece

Barticus

Ps, sorry, tried to put this in as a link, but it threatened to burn my computer and hunt me like a dog, not sure what the hell that was about!!

Unknown said...

Hi, sorry again, I just popped out for a while...this is great stuff...I think I'll post it tomorrow...thanks