Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Sunday, 25 January 2009

The Art of the Event

It's at this point that I think I might be losing control of my rock and roll - considering our usual penchant for critical debate on here, but I was stopped in my tracks for a couple of seconds this week when I saw this piece of commercialism by the T-Mobile company. This, truly an event of sorts, saw this spectacle taking place at 11am last Thursday in Liverpool Street station. Take a look, it sure beats nice cosy scenes of families taking their dogs for a walk and couples kissing because their lives have been made so much better as a result of their mobile phone packages. It only happens, one-off for about 2 minutes - it is a case of the artificially-staged colliding with the authentic reaction of the audience. Never happened before, and will never happen again. Love it.

See the video

3 comments:

Barticus said...

What an amazing video, loved it.. But this idea of "Flash mobbing" for use in mobile phone advertising has been around for quite a while now, and I think was first started by M1 in Japan a few years ago... You will notice when the end commercial comes out with everyone phoning thier mates to go to Liverpool Street Station for a "Flash mob" event. But, to be fair it has been built upon the "Flash mob event" idea that has a huge following around central Europe and is often used for Artistic or Political statement and can be the most fun for attendees and audiences alike..

Barticus

Unknown said...

Barticus - good to hear from you. Why not write a piece on Flash Mob and I'll post it

goddess13 said...

I absolutely love this video!!really do wish i was there. total 'feel good factor' watching this. even my kids dance when the ad. is on....bet you all have a boogie when its playing???.....brilliant idea. Nice touch of light-heartedness. Thanks Gonzo!!!