The problem comes when summer's gone and the back-to-work rush means you don't get too much time to orchestrate the great gonzo machine.
It's as if you go from everybody having nothing to do, but muse and sit around spaced out in the sunshine, to feeling as if your really working for the man AND the weather's getting progressively shittier as the nights grow longer.
All I'm thinking today is how damn cold it is. I've successfully managed to ward-off Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which usually strikes in the form of increasingly, worsening depression - usually culminating in some sort of minor "deep-winter" breakdown of some sort.
This certainly was the case last year as a prolonged period of "shadow-boxing" once again revealed I'm clearly no match for myself.
The problem is, when you have no guidance or leadership in your professional endeavours, you tend to do the best you can on a self-motivated basis. This becomes more difficult when the work you put in isn't recognised, appreciated or remunerated properly. Thus, after a while, you become disillusioned, and wonder why the fuck you're putting yourself out.
Actually, the answer's simple. I don't want to be mediocre. I know many people who are so utterly mediocre and have achieved so little with their time that almost everything that's piped from their tiny, underdeveloped minds out of their huge mouths into the public domain is worse than annoying, trivial irrelevance.
I don't know how the hell they live with themselves, and I don't care. I just know, these folk are unteachable and thus form an annoying irrelevance to me. I just try to stay away from them.
It's been a life goal thus far to stay away from arseholes and bullshit. One manager remarked lately "but how do you manage to do that in a place such as this?"
I stand back, don't take myself too seriously, remember I'm better at this than anybody else I know and enjoy every moment of it. I don't bother with things that aren't enjoyable.
Anyway. This is Charles Gonzo, for The Gonzo Lecture, signing out. Happy Saturday.
------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment