Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Monday, 24 March 2014

Anniversary (4)

So I'm unsure what to do next. I called my mum and my sister as we'd arranged, the moment the nurse in charge said my Dad was about to die. He'd gone shortly after that. I asked the nurse to make my dad look the best she could - like he was comfortable. I was about to leave the ward and go to the only entry point to the hospital, about half a mile's walk through several, sprawling,  deserted buildings. "How shall I tell them?" I asked her. My head was spinning, I barely knew where I was. 

"She'll know when she sees you," she replied," you won't have to say anything."

I was lost as I wandered the straight line I'd wandered every night as long as I could remember. This would be the last time. I walked through the ER, past people who'd gotten drunk, or fallen over etc for whom major shocking reality bad just hit them in their new surroundings. 

No comments: