Do NOT read

This loathsome work of fiction is a dream of sorts...

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

The Gonzo Style as a Tool of Critical Pedagogy Used to Overcome Oppressive Power Structures - Hegemony

Antonio Gramsci (1957; 1973) used the term “hegemony” to denote the dominance of one social class over others. He maintained that the dominant class asserted its beliefs over those of others, who accepted them as common sense, in return for certain benefits from the hegemonic class. Thus the compliance of those being ruled over was essential to the relationship. As Gramsci considered common sense to be a constantly flexible state, he suggested that ongoing struggle was necessary in order for the hegemony to continue. This treatise was made in opposition to Marx’s (1930) original assertion that once the oppressed realised their position, they would revolt, leading to eventual revolution by the proletariat class against their bourgeois rulers. Gramsci argued after many years, that this predicted revolt had not occurred because the oppressed classes were subjected to social conditioning and were therefore incapable of understanding that they were oppressed and accepted the imposition of the ruling values as common sense. This view has been applied directly to education by authors such as Hill (2007).

[post written May 2010]

4 comments:

Jeri said...

Try teaching Orwell's Animal Farm to rural farm students who come from predominantly Republican homes in southwestern Idaho! Public education doesn't create thinkers capable of intellectual freedom. The sad thing is, the wheels just keep on turning... going nowhere.

Unknown said...

I remember being read that book before bed by my dad when I was quite a small child...little wonder I turned out the way I did!

So what do we do Jeri? Who are the agents of the change that is required? I think we might just be one the same page here...

Thanks for commenting - I think I've seen a blog by you? Feel free to post the address here, so our readers can check you out...

Rory said...

Writing about hegemony and Thompson's method of challenging it at this very moment in my thesis - I particularly like the way he chose a quote from T.S. Eliot as an epigraph to Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72 - "Between the idea and the reality...falls the shadow."

- Rory

Anthony said...

Rory:

I would love to read your thesis. I'm working on my own called "Gonzo Rhetoric in New Media" and your work may be applicable. I'm investigating the lasting power of Gonzo rhetoric on television and the web...how conglomerate media (i.e. Fox News, NBC)took Gonzo for their own and applied it on a mass scale.

Of course, you can catch any of my stuff that may be pertinent at GoGonzoJournal.com/education.